Sunday, January 15, 2017

January Edition " What I Read"




Reading Log from Starts at Eight. I am linking up with Modern Mrs Darcy's Quick Lit. Check out what everyone else is reading.



The Life We Bury by Allen Esken.  This is a story that really draws you in. I found this book hard to put down.  I read this during Christmas.

Joe a college student is tasked to write a biography of a stranger for his English Teacher.  He ends up writing a biography of Carl, a Vietnam Veteran, who is also a convicted murderer.  Carl is confined to a nursing home with just a few months to live.  Carl spent 30 years in jail for the crimes of murder and rape.  Joe research into Carl's life leads him on some adventures that end up involving another college student and Joe's  autistic brother. This is a bit on the graphic side but the story is really compelling.  Excellent Read!


Wish You Happy Forever by Jenny Bowen

The hot reads table at the library got me again. It think what is so compelling about this true story is how much love Jenny has for the orphans in China.  Jenny not only adopted 2 Chinese girls but she developed an organization called, Half the Sky, that is organization devoted to improving Chinese orphanages by changing the operating practices from the inside out. They worked as partners with China to radically improve orphanages.


Better Than New by Nicole Curtis  - Nicole is passionate about Old Houses, Old People, and Old Dogs.  I found her book fascinating.  Nicole is also kinda a polarizing figure in real life with strong opinions on restoring old houses.  I can see where she might rub people the wrong way.  I found her story interesting and a quick read.  Last year seemed to be the year of flipping houses books with Nicole Curtis's book and the Gaines Book Magnolia House.  I am guessing these are radically different in their take on restoring houses and life. I am on the hold list for Magnolia House.

No comments:

Post a Comment