Tuesday, April 29, 2014

April Booking It

I am linking up with Booking It at Life as Mom.  Check out what everyone is reading.

I know that will be happy to know I found some fiction books I could sink my teeth into.  I ended my long streak of only reading non-fiction with the selections below.

Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein has had a lot of hype.  Some libraries classify this as a young adult read but I found it in the adult section.  I like that the story is told in a different way.

Only in wartime could a stalwart lass from Manchester rub shoulders with a Scottish aristocrat. But then a vital mission goes wrong, and one of the friends has to bail out of a faulty plane over France. She is captured by the Gestapo and becomes a prisoner of war. The story begins in “Verity”’s own words, as she writes her account for her captors. Truth or lies? Honour or betrayal? Everything they've ever believed in is put to the test . . . (Amazon)

This is an intriguing well told story.

Language of  Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh was a book I received at Christmas.  I actually started this book and took a 2 week break.  I love the Victorian concept that flowers have meaning and how two different stories are woven throughout the book.  I struggled I guess to like the main character Victoria maybe because she comes from a background in foster care and makes questionable decisions in regards to another young life. There are points I in the book where I want to shake her. However, this book is worth a read.

Lastly, I read Where'd You Go, Bernadette by Maria Sample.  I was surprised how quickly I was drawn into this really quirky book.  I loved it was set in Seattle.  A lot of the observations about people of the Pacific Northwest certainly rang true to me.  Just like Bernadette, I moved here from Southern California. I live in a smallish town and sometimes even after 10 years living here I feel like a complete outsider. This book really spoke to me on many levels.  This book exaggerates what happens when you feel rejected and what you do to fill that spot.  It also speaks to what happens to you when you quit doing what you love and what comes along when someone tears you down. I loved this quirky tale. I found myself thinking about it long after I finished reading it.  So that is a mark of a good read for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment