Thursday, October 24, 2013

You might be a Homemaker IF (Day 24)

you have ever engaged in make it or buy it debate over pancake mix

I never realized when I became a homemaker how heated a debate pancakes could be.  There are some of us who stand firmly in the mix side and those who stand on the make it from scratch.  I stand on the scratch side because of my Mother.  Pancake mix isn't complicated and generally can be made from staples on hand.  However after a little research, I have found that most people can't tell the difference from a box mix of pancake mix and homemade. Check out this article at Chick Advisor and their test of frozen, homemade, and from a box.

Here is my from scratch which I usually double but have tripled before.

Favorite Pancakes
1 1/4 cups sifted all purpose flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 beaten egg
1 cup of milk
2 tablespoons oil

Sift together flour, baking powder, sugar, and alt. Combine egg, milk, and oil; add to dry ingredients, stirring just till flour is moistened ( Batter will be lumpy)

Bake on hot griddle. Makes about 12 dollar size or eight 4 inch pancakes.

I recently started a book called Make the Bread, Buy the Butter - What you should and shouldn't cook from scratch by Jennifer Reese who also is a blogger at tipsybaker.com   So if you are ever going down the rabbit hole of whether or not you should attempt making something from scratch ,she has pretty much researched it. By the way, she thinks that you should make it from scratch over frozen pancakes.  She even does the cost comparison and hassle factor.

Please check out the rest of my series " You might be a Homemaker IF.."
***I am linking up with the Nester's 31 Days of Blogging

No comments:

Post a Comment