Friday, October 5, 2012

31 Little Things - Freezer Cooking

The Nester is once again doing 31 days of blogging. Check out what others are writing about for 31 days.

I don't know if this should be included under little things.  How we feed our families is important stuff.  It is a rather big and personal thing. I've got the two man wrecking crew AND they can chew through some food.  I do try to do some freezer cooking.   I almost ALWAYS do this when I have company.  Having things made ahead of time frees me up to enjoy my company. I was lucky enough when I was in MOPS(mother of preschoolers) to have met and heard Lindsay Tkacsik the co-author of Fix, Freeze, Feast.  One of the things I took away from her presentation was how freezer cooking became an extension of her hospitality and a way to bless others. The Fix Freeze Feast book is based a lot on the Costco meat packs and by splitting and doing a little prep you can get some meals in the freezer. It has been ages since I have done a full freezer cook day. I am more of a mini session type of gal. I do a few hours here and there depending on the season I am in. This works best for me. Now that I have a system and have done it numerous times, it is a small thing I do sometimes to get dinner on the table.

Recently potatoes were 98 cents for 5 pounds.  I bought 8 pounds and turned them into 8 family portions of garlic mash potatoes.  I did it in two different hour sessions. I think people especially Moms can really over think this.  If I have one meal frozen in the freezer, I am ahead.
Mash Potato Beauty Shot from 1 cooking session

I am REALLY looking forward to Life As Mom's book release "Not your Mother's Make Ahead and Freeze Meals". Life as Mom is tackling freezer cooking for her 31 day series on her other blog Good Cheap Eats

No comments:

Post a Comment