Monday, May 14, 2012

Booking it - May

I am joining Life as Mom in her Booking It party.  Check out what others are reading. I am little bit late to this party but I thought I would share anyways.

I keep getting drawn to the biography section.  I picked up Hope's Boy by Andrew Bridge.  It is a story about a boy who eventually ends up in the foster system.  Hope is his Mom.  Andrew Bridge later goes onto to be an advocate for foster kids working to change the system.  I marvel at Andy's resilience.  I feel incredibly sad that this system for foster kids is still really broken.

The Kitchen House by Kathleen Grissom had been recommended several times to me. This was a hard one to put down. Basically a story told by two narrators both slaves one white and one black.

Once again the New Reads Section at the Library sucked me in.  I picked up Hey, America, Your Roots Are Showing by Megan Smolenyak.  Megan Smolenyak is a genealogist.  Her website calls her a genealogical adventurer.  I would say that is a good fit along with history detective. This whole book is stories about various research she has done as a genealogist.  I had a hard time putting it down.  It was fascinating.  It will inspire to do your own genealogical research.  At the beginning of April the 1940's census was released.  I was able to find my Grandfather, Grandmother, and Aunt.  It was fascinating and addicting. We are big fans of the show "Who do you think you Are?" NBC. She is involved in that show as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment