Saturday, June 11, 2011

Book it 2011 JUNE



Please check out what the ladies are reading at Life as Mom. I picked up The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox by Maggie O'Farrell off the hot reads shelf at the library. I think the hot read shelf at the library is going to be the death of me. Quite honestly, I wanted to get this book but it just left me saying HUH. Check out this review at Book Club Queen. She sums it up pretty well.

OK, I admit it I am fascinated by the Amish and Polygamists. I don't want to be either but I am intrigued by their lifestyle choices. I read The 19th Wife by David Ebershoff. The 19th wife has two plot lines going. One is the real life story of Ann Eliza Young the 19th(maybe) wife of Brigham Young and a contemporary story line about another 19th wife and murder of her husband. I thought the actual plot line involving Ann Eliza Young was the stronger of the two. The story of Ann Eliza Young was riveting true story itself as she was Brigham Young's 19th wife and she went on to divorce him. She actually was instrumental in getting the US Government and the Church of Latter Day Saints to outlaw polygamy.

I also read Those who Save Us by Jenna Blum. I had a hard time putting this down. Yes, it is graphic in some parts. The story is about Trudy, History Professor, and her German Mom. Trudy's Mom left Germany after WWII by marrying a American Soldier.  While conducting interviews for a project, Trudy discovers some mysteries about her Mom's past and hers as well.  In some ways it reminded me about Sarah's Key by T De Rosnay. (review here)

1 comment:

  1. Those books sound like a couple of interesting reads. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete