Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Book it 2011- May


Please check out what everyone is reading at Life as Mom. I read "The Boy From Baby House 10" by Alan Philps and John Lahutsky. This true story really pulled at my heart strings. The subtitle is - "from the nightmare of a Russian orphanage to a new life in America. The book is about Vanya condemned first to a baby house and later imprisoned to a psychiatric hospital and labeled as imbecile by Russian State officials. It talks about the incredible Americans and Russians who advocated for him. What a true amazing story that will have you wanting to save every orphan in a Russian Baby House.



I also had a chance to read Water for Elephants. I actually saw the movie before completing the book. It was a good read. There were a couple parts that were rather graphic. I think I liked the movie more than the book.


My reading wouldin't be complete without a Bonnet Novel. I completed The Thorn by Beverly Lewis. It is book one in the Rose Trilogy. It is typical of Beverly Lewis books.


Our bible study group finished the Beth Moore Study - Esther: It is tough to be a Woman. We did this at the perfect time of the year as our study was during Purim and Easter. My review is here.



Last but not least, I read the Help by Kathryn Stockett . It was really good and I jammed through it in about 3 days. The story is about a white woman, Skeeter, who lives in Jackson, MS and decides to write an expose about what the Black maids think about their white woman bosses. This is also being made into a movie.

2 comments:

  1. I loved the Esther Bible study!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been trying to leave a comment, but as I'm sure you know, Blogger has been down.

    Wow! The Boy from Baby House 10 sounds like a powerful, moving book. I might be a little chicken to read it right now since we're in no position to adopt at this point in time, but maybe I'll add it to my to read list.

    The Help also sounds like an interesting read.

    ReplyDelete