Friday, February 11, 2011

Book it 2011- Choose your own adventure

I did Choose Your Own Adventure/booking it on your own book track for January as Part of Life as Mom's Book It 2011. I didn't get much reading done. BUT I read this reallygood book, Mao's Last Dancer by Li Cunxin. It is about the dancer Li Cunxin, an autobiography, who defected from China to the United States. Oh what an amazing life this man has had. It was a riveting read. I had a really hard time putting this one down.

Li Cunxin talked a lot about the ballet Red Detachment of Woman, Chinese Ballet. This ballet is currently being put on by Beijing Ballet. This ballet originated during Mao's reign. Li Cunxin talked a lot about this ballet. It was a feature on the CBS Evening News on Jan 30th.
It also highlighted to me how little I know about Chinese History especially recent history. It seemed very ironic that I was reading this during the Chinese President Hu Jintao visit to the White House. I also read this during when the Tiger Mom article came out. Li talks about his mother and his family's high expectations. He had a very meager start in life. His parents were peasants during Mao's reign It was a really fascinating read and more than just about ballet. It really tells about his journey and pursuit of excellence. Li Cunxin had big dreams and really worked hard to make those dreams happen.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds like an interesting and informative read. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete