Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Book it 2010- October

Check out the what other people are reading at Life As Mom - October Book it.

This month has been filled with some really intense reads. I started this month reading, "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" by Stieg Larsson I thought it was a good book but it was intense and disturbing. It really took some twists and turns. I can see why this book has a lot of buzz. I personally don't think I can watch the movie. I haven't decided if I will read the other two books or not.

I have been participating in my neighbors Bible study. We are doing a Beth Moore Bible Study on the book of Daniel. The book of Daniel for me is a book of the Bible that I am least familiar with. Other than Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego in the Fire and Daniel in the Lion's Den that was the breathe of my knowledge. We are in now week 6 of a 12 week study. I am really enjoying Beth's commentary. She really pulls it all together and makes you think. I never realized how much is also able to relate to our everyday life. She presents it on DVD. I think all the ladies in the study are getting a lot our of it. It was really freaky when we met on October 12 and it was the same day that we were study the 5th chapter of Daniel which was referencing the fall of Babylon in 539 BC on Oct 12th. It is intense with homework.

Lastly, I am reading " Talent is Overrated" by Geoff Colvin. The caption under the title is, "What Really Separates World-Class Performer from Everybody Else." I think it is a really eye opening book. The basic premise is that talent isn't inborn but rather cultivated through specific practices that anyone can do if they have the dedication. I think we live in a culture that reinforces that you were born an artist, athlete, or leader. This book really dissects why this isn't the case necessarily. I think this is also a message that our kids miss. People just don't become successful. It is work. Along the same lines, top level achievers according to Colvin are rarely child prodigies. As far as me applying it to my own life, I am just a stay home mom or as I like to say a Modern Day June Cleaver. But I have been doing this homemaking thing for 12 years and who doesn't want to improve their performance. Maybe through deliberate practice the laundry will actually get done in a more timely manner. All kidding aside, this book is an interesting read.

4 comments:

  1. If you like the last book, you might consider reading "Talent is Never Enough" by John C. Maxwell. We are big Maxwell fans in this house and have learned so much from so many of his books (specifically "Today Matters" and "Be a People Person"). Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Colvin book sounds interesting. Just the other day, I heard someone reiterating that "Genius is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration" (Edison). You have to work hard to get anywhere, but Americans these days don't want to; they want things to come easily.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have not done the Daniel study yet. I'm looking forward to the Revelation study and Beth is now writing a study on James!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I keep hearing about the Dragon Tattoo book. It kind of sounds freaky to me for some reason?

    ReplyDelete