Tuesday, September 14, 2010

September Book It 2010

I ran across a list of books recommended for medical interns and residents that was recommended by Michele Au from the the underwear drawer I was unable to link directly to her post but it is on August 11th. I chose to read The House of Hope and Fear by Aubrey Young that someone recommended in the comments . This is another Pacific Northwest book as the Author tells about her experiences at Harborview Medical Center in Seattle. I thought it was well written with interesting stories involving the least likely population able to pay for health care, the homeless. It gave me new respect for the challenges that Hospitals face providing care for all regardless of the ability to pay. It also highlighted the enormous strain our hospitals are in under when disasters happen.

I also have had a chance to read The Blind Side and see the movie. I know I must be the last person to see the movie. The book was somewhat a hard read for me as reading about football was hard. This is one time the movie I thought was a great addition to the book. I admit I did skim some of the detailed football logistics in the book.I think that seeing football, the visual, is what makes the movie better for this part. The book goes more in depth of Micheal Other story but the movie did an excellent job of summarizing. I love Sandra Bullock in this movie.

In addition, I also saw the movie Eat, Love, Pray with Book Club and I had really mixed feelings. The movie seemed to suck the soul out of the book, the spirituality out. I think I agree with my friend, Carol that it was too neat. The loose ends are never wrapped up like that. Life is messy. I think the book was better. Our book club was 50/50 on the book. Here was our review.

1 comment:

  1. You're not the last person to see the movie - I haven't seen it yet (though it's on my list to watch). :-)

    ReplyDelete