Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Book It - August Update

I was gone during the July Book It hosted by Life as a Mom. I am linking up to her Book It Party here.

I read Snow Falling on Cedars by David Guterson on our trip on the Alcan. I know another with somewhat of a WWII theme and Pacific Northwest Theme. I am drawn to these books. Earlier this year I read the Other also by Guterson. I prefer Snow Falling on Cedars though both were compelling reads. I haven't seen the movie based on the book.

I also read hand-me-down by Lee Nichols. This is what I call a great beach read. The main character, Anne, likes everything new . She is the youngest of 3 sisters and has fallen in and out of love multiple times. She held many jobs and feels mediocre. She falls in love with her sister's ex-boyfriend. It is definitely a mind candy book. You don't generally don't get good quotes from mind candy books. But there were two quotes I really love from the book though.

You had this dream, you're following through. Someone offers a shortcut, but you don't take it - because the dream isn't about shortcuts to someone else's destinations. It's about getting where you want to go.

But history doesn't dictate the future, it informs the future. It's not a force reaching out from the dead past to keep you down-it's a force to lift you up. Not like a basement, Anne, but a springboard.

Where am I on my goals for Book it 2010? I still have on my must read list to read-2 books. I have read 20 books. My list of read books is on my blog side bar.

3 comments:

  1. The Al-Can...as in the Alaska-Canadian highway? My husband and I did that two years ago to work with a couple of mission organization in Alaska for three months. Fun stuff - and plenty of time for reading (if that's the Alcan you're talking about!). Sounds like some good books you've been reading. (Visiting from Life as MOM)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know I read Snow Falling on Cedars, but now I can't remember it. Is it in Nova Scotia?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is set in Puget Sound. I am drawing a blank on the actual Island.

    ReplyDelete