Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Old People are Slippery and other tales

bumper sticker on a vehicle at the Fort Nelson Heritage Museum

Any trip with the two man wrecking crew would not be complete without a few adventures or tales. There were so many incredible moments during the trip and just darn wacky moments too. This post is about the wacky in case you were wondering.

At Fort St John, we stayed at Super 8. This Super 8 has a water slide. The Giant Man Child and #1 Son had been going down. I even went down and I am glad there is no photographic proof. Pappy somehow decided that he needed to go down too. I personally didn't think it was a great idea but who I am to tell 89 year old what he can or can not do. The Giant Man Child helped him up the stairs and showed him how to slow down by holding against the sides. They wanted me to catch him. Well he went really fast down the slide and flew by my outstretched hands and landed face down at the lower end of the pool. My first thought was this was going to end badly. He was fine once I helped him up. It just proves that old people are slippery. He decided against a repeat performance. I think we were a little bit relieved about that.


Upon arriving in Prince George, Pappy decided that we should go to Cariboo Restaurant. He was dying to have Cariboo. He was so disappointed to arrive and find that they can't serve wild game. He wanted some Cariboo. Darn it! He picked that restaurant because it had Cariboo in it's name so they must serve Cariboo.

There was the woman in Chetwynd that thought we stole her room It took us over 4o minutes to check in because this lady thought we stole her room with double beds. She didn't believe we had reservations. According to Nonna and the Giant Man Child, the desk clerk handled this well. The lady( I use that term very loosely) was offered another room free with a single bed so she would have 2 rooms. The motel was totally booked due to a refinery turn around. She was traveling with her husband and they evidently wanted to share room and not a bed. She just kept arguing endlessly. She was at the desk 30 minutes later as we were going to to dinner. We seriously thought she might slash our tires.


We decided we must be totally not understandable to the average Canadian. Almost every dinner we ordered at a restaurant arrived wrong. Usually it was Nonna that got the wrong meal. It started to get comical but we never starved. I am living proof of that.


I have to say we wouldn't be able to take our trip if our kids weren't great car travelers. Overall they were outstanding. BUT Chuckles can talk a blue streak especially when he gets tired. We started giving him Tootsie pops to shut him up but apparently he has some special skill that allows him to talk with one of those in his mouth. One time, that I am not proud of, I told him TO SHUT UP! We also told them to shut the sound off on the electronic devices so then Chuckles would proceed to hum the star wars theme song with the game - annoying especially since he was seated behind me. At some point, I preferred the electronic sound.


This trip couldn't be complete without a bathroom tale. In between Ft St John and Fort Nelson there is only one real rest area. I decided about 8 miles outside of Fort Nelson and about 200 miles from the nearest rest area. I couldn't wait another moment. It was an emergency so my hubby graciously (snort) pulled over. I went into the woods and several things crossed my mind: a. ) relief b.) I still know how to do this without ruining my pants c.) I hope I hid myself well enough as I have a loud blue shirt on. I don't think the passing motorists need any shock and awe if you know what I mean d.) I hear rustling in the woods. We had seen bear on a previous day right off the highway e.) I vow to never drink that much Pop again. f.) fat woman running out of the woods.

No comments:

Post a Comment